Powers Museum History & Mission
Support the Museum! Click on link for information.
Closed for Winter Season
Open March 28, 2017
Since 1988, the Powers Museum has been serving Carthage and the region as a local history museum with annual rotating annual exhibits from the post-Civil War period to the 20th century. Traveling exhibits and special programs related to Missouri or Ozark regional themes are presented, too.
The Powers Museum is a gift from Marian Powers Winchester. At her death in 1981, Mrs. Winchester left a bequest "for the establishment and operation of a museum for the citizens of Carthage and the surrounding area." She requested the museum's name honor her parents Dr. Everett Powers (1869–1954) and Marian Wright Powers (1880–1969).
In addition the museum's annual exhibits, the museum's Local History Reference Library and archival holdings are available by appointment.
Digital exhibits include Riches from the Earth: the Geological and Industrial Heritage of Jasper County, 1865 -1965, part of the Missouri Digital Heritage project sponsored by the Missouri State Archives and the Missouri Secretrary of State.
Museum Shop On Site
Carthage souvenirs and books, family tree charts and Route 66 items are sold on site. Mail order is available from the museum by consulting this link.
Museum Support & Administration
The museum is a non-profit 501c3 organization governed by a museum board that meets monthly at the museum, usually on the fourth Tuesday evening of the month. The Powers Museum receives no tax support and is operated through donations, museum shop revenue, fundraising projects, and grants along with the original Winchester endowment. If you would like to donate to the museum use this form and send checks to Powers Museum, P.O. Box 593, Carthage, MO 64836. All contributions are tax-deductible.
Now looking for exhibit and program underwriters. Contact Museum or Board Members for further information.
2015 CHARTER FRIENDS OF THE POWERS MUSEUM DONORS
Henry Robertson, Jr., Barbara Harris Johnson, Dr. Angela Firkus, Dr. Steven Wagner, Teresa & A.D. Henry, Richard & Dixie Vacca, Kimberly & Timothy Fisher, Lynda Homa & Steve Leibbrand, Marti Pittman, Sally Armstrong, Judy Byers Deatherage, Thomas & Majorie Rogler, Tom & Gail Higdon, Dale & Karla Rush, Linda & Larry James, Jane Crawford, Dale & Bev Mermoud, Claudia Mundell, Jeanne & Michael Goolsby, Lynn & Don Campbell, Daniel & Arrona Comer, Geri & Wynne Krell, Donna Newton, Michele & Gary Hansford, Stephen Adams, William Haughawout, Dr. Kelly Woestman, and John & Neva Gray.
FY 2015 In-Kind Support & Artifact Donors Carthage Community Foundation (archival reboxing project), J & L Sales (Jim Loomis), Teresa Henry, Michelle Montague, Michele & Gary Hansford, Lee Foster, Helen Hunter, Lori East, Chuck Pauly, Kay Abbiatti, Wennoma Shumaker, Ozarks Gateways Master Gardeners, Barton County Historical Society, Nevada Quilt Guild, Missouri Humanities Council/State Historical Society of Missouri Speakers Bureau, and History Museum of Springfield/Greene County.
Thank you to all these organizations and people for their support!
Copyright © Powers Museum